12.26.2012



CREPES 
w/ banana filling and berry sauce




What I love about crepes they can be savory or sweet.


You can fill crepes with anything you'd like.  I filled this one with bananas.  Ali, had nutella in his.




Making the crepe

crepes are very, very thin.



There are many crepe recipes out there; this just happen to be one I decided to try.  For the most part it's pretty simple and basic - I guess that's why I gave it a try right out the gate of making crepes - I wanted something simple.  I've since come across other crepe recipes that require a little more steps, and not so quick, fast, 123.   But that's okay, everything can't be fast, and taking your time is most likely better anyway.


CREPES



Ingredients:

* 1/2 cup milk
* 1 egg yoke
* 2 tsp. vanilla extract (I used only one)
* 1/2 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
* 2 tsp. sugar (I use brown raw)
* 1/8 tsp salt
* 1 tbsp and 2 tsp melted butter


Directions:


In a large bowl, mix together the milk, egg yolk and vanilla, sift together the flour, sugar and salt into the bowl.  add the melted butter and stir until well blended.

Heat a round, smooth 9-inch pan over medium heat until hot.  Coat lightly with cooking spray.  Pour 1/3 cup of batter into the pan, lift up the pan from the heat and tip to spread the batter to the edges; return to heat.  When bubbles form on the top (I didn't really see any bubbles, so I used my better judgement), and the edges are dry, flip over with a wide spatula and cook until lightly browned on the other side and edges are golden.  Repeat with remaining batter.

* Place crepe on a plate, fill with 1/4 cup raspberry compote, dust with powdered sugar - I didn't (opt.).  And serve immediately.

* I filled my crepe with fresh bananas, and Ali's was filled with nutellaFor the berry sauce in the picture above, I don't really have a recipe, because I kind of just winged it.  It was a simple sauce.  I put some fruit in a sauce pan, added a little sugar (unrefined) and water; cook until it starts to thicken, let it cool down a bit, and you'll get a nice simple fruit sauce.  It was just one of those times I just got in there and did it!  In which will happen often


Here is a compote sauce that came with the recipe:

Warm Raspberry Compote:

Ingredients:

* 3 cups ripe raspberries, rinsed
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice


Directions:

In a saucepan, combine the berries, sugar, and lemon juice.  Over medium heat, bring to a simmer, stirring frequently until the sugar dissolves and the berries give up their juices.  Continue simmering stirring occasionally, until the juices thicken to a syrupy consistency, about 5 minutes.  Remove from the heat.  Serve warm with crepes, ice cream, breakfast oatmeal, etc., or cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate.


adapt. from thecomfortofcooking.blogspot.com  












No comments:

Post a Comment